Saturday, September 08, 2012

Things Got Fancy

Part of me - most of me (all of me?) - knows that you don't care about my big long list of every book with an owl in it. Yet here we are. When Megan Abbott was here most recently we talked about H.P. Lovecraft a good bit and she told me about a comic book that was part noir and part Lovecraft and she said she was going to send it to me and Megan Abbott always does what she says so she sent it to me and I have it and here it is. It is called FATALE by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips and it is dedicated to - a comic book with a dedication page! Things got fancy as I reached my twilight years though no one alerted me - Megan Abbott and Joe Hill, and look! It talks about "a silk ribbon that's wound around the world every night, held in the beak of an owl" and that must be some owl all right. Laura Lippman was here recently too, and we went together to a live broadcast of the Thacker Mountain Radio show and Padgett Powell read about butter-and-sugar sandwiches, which appear in his new book, and we have noticed butter-and-sugar sandwiches in books before - books by James Whorton, Jr., Harper Lee, and Toni Morrison - but we haven't made a list, not yet we haven't, although we have made a list of sandwiches in general, but I know you don't care, you don't care about owls or sandwiches.