Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Glanced Down and Saw an Owl

I got that beatnik roman à clef (is that what it is?) FRIDAYS AT ENRICO'S with some store credit I had coming to me at Square Books. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot like THE THIRD VIOLET (I can only hope!). So it was written by Don Carpenter but "finished" by Jonathan Lethem, and I opened it up hoping to get some information on what that's all about. Nothing in the front of the book. So I knew there'd be an afterword, which indicated possible spoilers, but I thought I'd dip into it carefully. I opened the book by chance to page 308, near the back of the novel, before the afterword, and my eye was immediately drawn to the words "Minerva's Owl." So now I guess I don't have to read it. Ha ha. I guess. I am getting too good at playing "find the owl."