Wednesday, October 12, 2022

This Other General


You will be happy to hear that Owl Creek has made an appearance in Grant's memoirs, yes, the very same Owl Creek that appears in that other notable set of memoirs, the dual one by Ron and Clint Howard. Here I paraphrase freely. This other general shows up late for a battle! A whole day late! He is like, "Well, I can't help it, Grant told me to go a weird way, by Owl Creek." And Grant is like, "I never said that! How funny that you think I said that!" sounding like the Martin Short character Nathan Thurm (pictured above), only I believe him (Grant, not Thurm), his persona in this book coming across (as I believe Megan Abbott put it to me the other day) "solid as an oak!" (Exclamation point hers, probably.) Grant says this other general probably went a sneaky way thinking it would enable him to do some heroics and be a big shot, but it didn't. Still paraphrasing, possibly incorrectly.