Tuesday, November 15, 2022

This Is My Life Now

Well, I have nothing else to do, so I thought I would inform you that Dr. Theresa and I watched the movie SUSPECT last night, in which Dennis Quaid holds a lighter up to a smoke detector in order to start the sprinklers going (or, in this case, a fire alarm; I did not see any water coming down). As you know, there is a whole section of my cigarette lighter book about whether or not that would work, and I can't remember which side I came down on in the end. Knowing me, I probably just equivocated like a low little skunk. Which reminds me (the lighter, not the skunk), the other night, Dr. Theresa and I watched PRESCRIPTION: MURDER, the TV movie that served as a pilot for COLUMBO. At one point, Columbo uses a lighter and a comically long flame shoots out, which is also covered in my book (the shockingly long flame, not Columbo), as code for a certain kind of bumbling. Columbo's antagonist was a pyschiatrist, and I wondered whether PRESCRIPTION: MURDER was the best title. I know a psychistriast can write prescriptions, but somehow the title brings forth images of a friendly family practiticioner with a deadly secret! Also, prescriptions really have nothing to do with the murder in the episode. I suppose you could say the evil psychiatrist wrote himself a prescription for a murder that he thought would solve all his problems. He didn't know about Columbo!