Friday, October 06, 2023

Bear With Me

I've been thinking about how long it has been since I read a book with an owl in it, a phenomenon last recorded here in June. Is this the longest time I've ever gone without finding an owl in a book? It's pretty embarrassing for a guy who claims that every book has an owl in it. That's probably why the Elvis movie KISSIN' COUSINS caught my attention yesterday. In it, Jack Albertson enjoys a plate of... and bear with me here, I'm working from memory... owl gizzards, possum tails, vulture eggs, and mashed catfish eyes. It's supposed to be funny because poor people are eating it! It's all they can get, ha ha. Those are just a few of the ingredients, though saying "bear with me" reminds me that "dried bear grease" was another component. I could have sworn there was some reason I started typing this.