Thursday, September 24, 2026

Buckatunna Chicken Mat


Life took us once again through Buckatunna, where we stopped at the same gas station, only this time there was a chicken guarding it. The chicken did not stray from what I suppose we should call the welcome mat outside the gas station. I contemplated the chicken. I thought about how, when we have recorded for you here the stories of various chickens hanging around various commercial buildings, the chickens have always congregated in groups. I felt bad for the presumably lonesome chicken. Maybe that's my problem, not the chicken's! Our journey continued to Grand Bay, Alabama, where I noticed a restaurant called New York Pizza. I took a photo of it and sent it to Bill Boyle, who is from New York and very particular about pizza. He replied in astonishment that the lunch special appeared to be 18.99 for two slices and a drink! That was also how I had read the sign, which was blurry due to my lack of skills of all kinds. Later that night, my mom and I vowed to get to the bottom of it! We raced to our precious enhanced telephones, which were replete with information and modern capabilities. Mom said the special was 8.99 for two slices and a drink. I blew up the photo, like David Hemmings in BLOW-UP, and conceded that what Bill and I had taken for a 1 could well have been a dollar sign instead. I relayed the information to Bill. He said it was still too much. Anyway, glancing over the menu of Grand Bay, Alabama's New York Pizza, I observed that they offer a "pickle slice." That is to say, a slice of pizza with pickles on it. Here's the thing! Get ready! Just the night before, my brother had been sitting at the kitchen table, saying, out of nowhere, quote, "I can imagine a slice of pizza with pickles on it." Later, I checked my email and saw that McNeil had written to inform me that in 2007 I misspelled the title of the movie BUONA SERA, MRS. CAMPBELL. It has been corrected!