Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Gilmore Girls

Did you ever read that story "Winky" by George Saunders? You should look it up! Also, "Animals in Our Lives" by Tom Bissell. That's a sad one. They're both sad! But one has hobbits in it. You'll have to do your research to find out which one! Finally, on an unrelated topic, I'll just say that my editor has convinced me to cut out an entire page about THE GILMORE GIRLS from the title novella of my upcoming book YOUR BODY IS CHANGING. Don't get me wrong, there's still some Gilmore Girls stuff in there (I don't want to give anything away, but a certain Someone comes down from above in the form of Luke, the scruffy diner-owner on THE GILMORE GIRLS) but there's no longer a recapitulation of seasons 4 and 5 in the form of a prayer by a young fundamentalist. Oh well, you can read that part after I'm dead and my relatives are trying to milk every last drop out of my meager estate. My goal of establishing a flourishing "Gilmore-Girls School" of serious fiction in my lifetime has withered before my eyes. But a sliver of the original version did sneak into an anthology called A CAST OF CHARACTERS, edited by Sonny Brewer. Check it out from the good folks at your public library, and start working on your dissertation about it right away!