Monday, June 20, 2011

Brigands of the Bog

Say, are you writing a sprawling fantasy epic? Probably! Well, so am I. And I have some dreadful news for you. Thanks to self-publishing on the "internet," EVERY POSSIBLE TITLE IS TAKEN. I thought I had hit on one, finally, right there in the sweet spot between seeming real and being ludicrous: THE WIZARD'S EGG. So of course someone on the "internet" has already written a story called "The Wizard's Egg," which is about - spoiler alert! - a wizard cooking a soft-boiled egg. In case you are wondering (and you shouldn't be - it's a given), yes, there is also an "internet" story called "The Unicorn's Egg." Turns out the "internet" is rife with wizards and unicorns, but we knew that already. My brother-in-law David did send me a bunch of good title suggestions, my favorite of which is BRIGANDS OF THE BOG. That sounds almost like a real one, doesn't it? But I don't know. I think I'll know it when I hear it.