Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Tell Your Invisible Friends

I know you don't exist, but if you did, I would strongly encourage you to go out this evening to Square Books, where Ace Atkins will unveil his action-packed new thriller DON'T LET THE DEVIL RIDE. Happy publishing date, Ace, or "pub day" as in-the-know literary types probably call it with their smug eggheaded ways. And because you don't exist, dear "blog" reader, you can bring all your friends, who also, just from using logic, don't exist, because you won't have to worry about seating, as none of you exist! Now, I'm not saying that Ace Atkins fans don't exist. They exist by the carload! I can vouch from experience that Ace Atkins fans will cram Off Square Books (the annex where readings take place) full to bursting. Ace and I were trying to figure out, in fact, how many of his book events I have moderated for him over the years. We can't put it together, quite, but at least 8 or 9. One I particularly recall is from 2015, due to our in-depth discussion of Clyde the orangutan, which left the crowd enthralled and begging for more. And I've never missed an Ace Atkins book event in at least 13 years, though, sadly, I can't make it tonight. But that's okay, because the acclaimed and gifted novelist Michael Farris Smith will be putting Ace through his conversational paces, well, well, well, I guess Michael Farris Smith is Ace's new best friend. :(