Friday, October 04, 2024

Gasp!

Yesterday, I was sitting in my favorite chair, watching a movie called YOUNG BESS, which I had recorded off of TCM. It wasn't the most interesting movie ever made, and my eye wandered to the side table, where THE TEMPTATION OF SAINT ANTONY was just lying there. I thought, and may have muttered half-aloud, "Well, this book has every kind of animal in it, including some that don't exist, but no owls! And here I am almost at the end of it." Indeed, friends, I was closer to the end than I knew: many of the remaining pages were taken up by "Notes to the Translation." (A wonderful translation by Kitty Mrosovsky, I should add!) There were but three scant pages of the text itself to go! Anyhow, with the movie still playing, I opened it up, and right there, on the third page from the end, there were owls! Owls! Reader, I actually gasped. I gasped at the owls. I don't think I gasp very often. But maybe I am going around gasping all the time without knowing it. This time, I noticed. Nor were they just any owls. They were "owls with snakes' tails." Now, that's something you don't see every day, brother.