Saturday, October 12, 2024

The Thing McNeil Hates

Welcome once again to "McNeil's Li'l Bogie Bits," your online "hot spot" for all the action! If that action involves McNeil reading a 700-page biography of Humphrey Bogart. Here, I'm just going to cut-and-paste McNeil's recent email, as I am extremely lazy: "I'm finally getting back to this Bogart book, and it does the thing I hate - which is mention someone who was a 'longtime friend,' but who has not been mentioned before. This is page 427! If you can devote page after page to the bellhop of some NY hotel, I think a longtime friend would have come up by now. What else has been left out? Who knows. I give up on the world and its false promises." (I believe the bellhop in question was employed by a Los Angeles hotel, I emerge from my coma to editorialize.)