Monday, December 13, 2010

Foodstuffs!

Welcome once again to "Foodstuffs!" - the "blog" column for people who enjoy foodstuffs. Sometimes I will cook up some warm milk, because I am 1,000 years old. While it is heating in the pot, I sprinkle some cinnamon on the surface. BUT GET THIS! When I add nutmeg, the cinnamon SHOOTS INSTANTLY AWAY FROM IT, to the edges of the pot, as if chemically repelled. Yes, the nutmeg acts as cinnamon repellent! It is a rapid and almost violent reaction! I have repeated the experiment numerous times, and it always happens the same way. WHY? Earlier today I ran into John T. Edge at Square Books. I asked him about the phenomenon and it turned out to be the one food question John T. Edge cannot answer! My friend who was almost in a plane crash with Werner Herzog was similarly amazed. He was Hunter S. Thompson's right-hand man for many years, so you wouldn't think anything could amaze him, but my facts about nutmeg and cinnamon did the trick (he happened to be at Square Books, too). Try it and you may find out that I am probably not completely crazy! And even if I am crazy, you will have a delicious treat for the whole family to enjoy.