Tuesday, November 10, 2015

"Blog"trospective 17: Cigarette Lighter Appendix

My previous "blog"trospective, which covered the 20th century, wore me out. But last night I was watching an old episode of THE SIMPSONS, a flashback to the birth of Bart, and Bart's first act on the earth was to set fire to Homer's necktie with a lighter. And that's when I knew I needed, at long last, to manufacture a new "blog"trospective, a storehouse for everything I would have put somewhere in my cigarette lighter book if only it weren't too late to add anything to my cigarette lighter book. Here is that short but growing list: ancient death ray of Archimedes---Aykroyd, Dan; lights a whole pack of smokes with a blowtorch---COUPLE OF COMEDIANS, A (novel by Don Carpenter)---Felix from THE ODD COUPLE mangles a cigarette---heating Pop Tarts one bite at a time---Hope, Bob; cracks wise about lighters---Lewis, Jerry; can't find his lighter---Mailer, Norman; narrator of overcome by the solemnity of a cigarette lighter---newborn Bart Simpson sets fire to his father's necktie with a lighter (see above)---O'Brien, Edmond; flirts using cigarette lighter---Pryor, Richard; yells "Flick my Bic!" (was that the advertising slogan for the Bic pen or the Bic lighter? In any case, see "link" for rationale)---STAR WARS robot gives a "thumbs up" with its built-in lighter---structurally significant lighter---undetermined pun based on the name of fire historian Stephen J. Pyne---Wallach, Eli; uses an imaginary cigarette lighter---woman dressed as a cigarette lighter frolics behind Miley Cyrus, a. I'm forgetting something.