Thursday, December 09, 2010

Fuzz Mustard

Over on the "blog" of James Wolcott I see Jim Jarmusch quoted thusly: "I reach for my revolver when I hear the word quirky. Or edgy. These words are now becoming labels that are slapped on products to sell them." To which I would only respond, "Now? How about forever? What about what happened to the beatniks, for example? Or when BONNIE AND CLYDE made people put rebellious banjo music in car commercials?" But that reminds me: Our Year of Repressive Desublimation is coming to a close. Let's think back over some of the highlights of repressive desublimation we have enjoyed together in 2010, The Year of Repressive Desublimation. What about when Phyllis Diller squirted mustard at the "fuzz"? Or the time the UTNE READER decided to reprint part of a column I wrote that MIGHT be about repressive desublimation for all I know? Let us reflect also on the piece of candy that has its own twitter account. And don't forget double reverse repressive desublimation, perhaps the most characteristic variety of our wonderful new era! And there were so many more examples we fondly enjoyed together. Why not send your favorite piece of repressive desublimation to "Repressive Desublimation" c/o "Writer" Oxford, MS 38655?