Monday, August 05, 2013

Vera Miles

Tonight's ADVENTURE TIME episode was the first I ever worked on. Yes, I worked on the one that aired last week, too, but I worked on it later, though it aired earlier, get it? Sometimes they air in a different order than the order in which you worked on them. I know there must be a clearer way of putting that, but I don't seem inspired to figure it out. Anyhow, when I was organizing the stuff that had been said in the writers' room into a first pass at an outline, I added this: "[Finn] bites his knuckle like Vera Miles watching the boys fight over her in THE SEARCHERS." At a later date, Kent emailed me the storyboard you see here as a gracious gesture, marking the very first time my words had been turned into a picture that would be used on the show! Tonight's episode was written and storyboarded by Somvilay Xayaphone and Luke Pearson. I'm not sure which of them drew this particular image. I don't see the finished episodes until they're on TV, and the most exciting part is discovering how the original story has been heightened, shaken up, fleshed out and transformed by a team of magnificent artists and storytellers. Hey, I know I was bragging about a passing movie allusion in last week's ADVENTURE TIME episode too, but that's it, I promise not to do that anymore, I got that out of my system, there aren't anymore allusions to be made, I ran out, we're fine.