Thursday, June 11, 2015

Writers Need to Watch More TV

I went to Square Books and tried to buy FINDERS KEEPERS by Stephen King and Kaitlyn told me, "Don't do it! It's a sequel! You won't understand it!" Bill C., who also works there, wisely suggested that I ask Tom Franklin, who knows everything about Stephen King, whether I could read that one without reading the first one. Tom gave me the go-ahead! So I went back the next day and bought it, and soon thereafter I had lunch with Tom, and he said, "You know, I've been thinking, why NOT read the first one? It's good!" But it was too late. Hey! I just want to say that early on in FINDERS KEEPERS, Stephen King demonstrates only the loosest grasp of SpongeBob SquarePants. He doesn't know what network it's on, and he seems to think it takes place in a moralistic world where bad kids don't get their allowances...? This, tonally, does not seem like SpongeBob SquarePants to me. Which reminds me! When did UNDERWORLD by Don DeLillo come out? Ah, yes, 1997, when I was working for TBS. And I found it aggravating at the time that DeLillo seemed to think TBS and CNN were the exact same thing. All I'm saying is I have a really cramped view of the world.