Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Niceness

Wow! Everyone was so nice to Theresa and me in South Carolina. Two of my favorite writers - George Singleton and John Warner - came out to say hello. And of course that other favorite writer o' mine, Ashley Warlick, who organized the whole thing. And after the reading I was mobbed by pleasant 16- and 17-year-olds who wanted me to sign their books. Mobbed is the wrong word. They actually formed a spontaneous yet preternaturally orderly line. The young generation! I had no idea the young generation was so kind and pleasant! I thought they just spent their time beating one another up for YouTube. But I was wrong! They also enjoy reading. And standing patiently in line while I try to think of smarmy one-liners with which to deface their books. Well, everyone was very nice, as I said. Much nicer than the happy talking squirrels of Cranberry Corners, who knocked me down and robbed me of my nuts. That's not "racy"! It's a simple statement of literal fact. Squirrels enjoy nuts, such as walnuts and pecans. Look it up!