Thursday, December 02, 2010

Do You Like Stuff?

Say, do you like Anne Bancroft, The Beatles, Beethoven, Anthony Braxton, Neko Case, John Clare, Peter De Vries, Barry Hannah, Charles Ives, Anita Loos, Shirley MacLaine, Charles Portis, Sun Ra, Sonny Rollins, Alex Ross, George Saunders, Scriabin, The Shaggs, Christopher Smart, Mark Twain, Lao Tzu, Robert Walser, Wilco, and Frank Zappa? What? You do? Wow! No kidding? So do I! That's why they all appear in my brand new Oxford American column. Yes, reading that column is like staring glumly at the cover of "Sgt. Pepper's" - glumly because somebody stole your LP from the sleeve. I'm the worst! I do manage to squeeze a few words of my own in there between the references. You know what this means, don't you? The legendary annual music issue of THE OXFORD AMERICAN is about to "drop." That's what the kids say, right? "Drop"?