Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Big Shoe Drop Any Minute Now

Finally getting around to reading AND WHEN SHE WAS GOOD by Laura Lippman. It's not fair to call it my favorite Laura Lippman novel because I'm only on page 86 but I THINK IT MIGHT BE. You know that expression "waiting for the other shoe to drop," right? NONE OF THE SHOES HAVE DROPPED. But there is every indication that somebody is holding tons of shoes over our heads and those shoes, some with spikes on them, are going to start dropping like crazy any minute. I refuse to compare AND WHEN SHE WAS GOOD to Balzac, mostly because I have no idea what that means. I barely know what "waiting for the other shoe to drop" means. But AND WHEN SHE WAS GOOD has a sharp eye on society from its first mesmerizing page. And were I asked to blurb it - ha ha! on what planet? - I'd rank it all the way up there with MILDRED PIERCE as a novel about business.