Friday, February 18, 2011

Mr. Ward's Sad Clown/Happy Clown: A Study In Contrasts

A missive from Mr. Ward! He writes: "Your blog on sad clowns got me thinking about one of the weirdest sad clown movies I ever saw - 'WC Fields and Me.' It starred Rod Steiger, of course, because when you think comedy you think Rod Steiger. Anyhow, I only remembered two things about the movie. One – WC Fields became nauseated whenever he got anywhere near Charlie Chaplin. Two – Rod Steiger as WC Fields looks exactly like Alan Hale Jr. (The Skipper from Gilligan’s Island) - whom I actually met once and who was in fact a very happy clown with no inner angst whatsoever." Thanks, Mr. Ward! If this still I found is any indication, the people who made the movie had just as much fun as you did watching it! PS Please send more details of your meeting with the Skipper. ASAP!