Monday, January 01, 2007

The Year of Hunching Dangerously

I had a "hunch" that my long nightmare of hunching was over. Having finally received the proper equipment to alleviate the problem, I eagerly called up the friendly "computer" people who had sent me that equipment. The first fellow helped me for awhile and decided that I should be transferred to a supervisor. I heard some lively classical music, a concerto grosso if I am not mistaken, and was suddenly disconnected after ten minutes of edifying contrapuntalism. I called back and by coincidence was sent to the very first fellow again. He transferred me a second time, and the call went right through, but it was, alas, to the wrong department. That second fellow transferred me to another department, where I encountered another nice fellow who wanted to help me, but we finally figured out that he was an expert on the wrong brand of "computers." So he transferred me to another man, and this man told me right away that he was the wrong department but would try to help me anyway. I explained that I would rather speak with someone in the correct department for some reason. This fourth fellow gently chided me, explaining that yes, he would probably have to transfer me at some point, but first he wanted to give it a sporting try just as a frivolous lark. He asked me for all the same information I had given to the first three persons to whom I had spoken. I explained that I would rather just be transferred to the correct department right away, rather than persisting in this impish charade, however frolicsome and blithe. We parted amicably, I think. True, nothing was "accomplished." But why does something always have to be "accomplished"? Can't we just enjoy meeting new friends like the four I met today in two short hours? Four new friends in two hours... not bad! Not bad at all. It augurs well for the year to come. I suggest calling up your "computer" company whether or not you have a problem, just to shoot the breeze. The best part is, I am learning to use back muscles I never knew I had! Perhaps at the turn of 2008 I will pull a freight train along the tracks by means of a harness, as part of an "internet" stunt.