Saturday, April 02, 2011

Imaginary Kitten Clip

Kelly Hogan writes in to suggest that our cartoon caption should be, "My kitten clip went viral. Colonoscopies on the house!" I love it! You know, it's like I'm running my own imaginary caption contest for imaginary NEW YORKER cartoons without leaving the comfort of my own home. It's the job of the future! Once I had a good idea for a NEW YORKER cartoon about a mime, but I knew I would never be able to approach the NEW YORKER with it, so I gave my idea to a character in my story "Lumber Land" from my second book, YOUR BODY IS CHANGING. So go to your local library if you want to read my imaginary NEW YORKER cartoon about a mime! Hey, I did a reading with Ben Greenman and Pia Z. Ehrhardt when YOUR BODY IS CHANGING came out, I am recalling. Ben Greenman works for the NEW YORKER! Our reading took place at the wonderful McNally Jackson bookstore in New York City (it had a slightly different name then). So I read my NEW YORKER cartoon section, because in my mind it was almost like getting a cartoon into the NEW YORKER to read aloud about my NEW YORKER cartoon ideas while someone who worked there was forced to sit and listen to me. It's really those little victories that make life so unbearably sweet.