Sunday, November 08, 2009

Heady Times


Laura Lippman has convinced me I am not crazy! Hey, remember when I recalled the LORDS OF FLATBUSH jingle, but it was much shorter in my recollection than the version on youtube? Sure you do! Those were heady times. Heady times. Well, Laura Lippman, without viewing the youtube clip, sent me her own recollection of the LORDS OF FLATBUSH jingle, which I now proceed to quote: "The Lords of Flatbush/ is a mo'oo'oo'oo'vie/ About the way life was in the fi'i'i'fties./ I don't mean to boast./ But I dig it the most./ The Lords of Flatbush, Flatbush, Flatbush./ Rated Pee-Gee." Then she asks, "Am I even close?" Close? You rang the bell, Laura! That's just the way I remembered it! (Except for "how" instead of "the way" and "you'll dig it" instead of "I dig it.") The point is, I am not crazy. Obviously, there was an extended version - represented on youtube - that Laura Lippman and I never saw at the time of its original release (possibly because it rhymes "stealin' a car" racily with "padded bra[r]" and therefore aired only in the wee hours) and a "cut-down" version (as we used to call it in the industry), which is the one that Laura Lippman and I remember. This is important stuff! This is the stuff people "blog" about. This is why "blogs" were invented! PS: I am done with book flaps.