Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ventriloquist Spoilers

I don't think I am the only one who would frame it like this: "Did you know that the ventriloquist Paul Winchell invented the artificial heart?" Now, I don't know why it isn't more natural to say, "Did you know artificial heart inventor Paul Winchell was also a ventriloquist?" I guess I could say he was more famous as a ventriloquist, and that's why we say it that way, but we live in an age without ventriloquists (I'm not counting that one ventriloquist) and you have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? During my lunch with Michael Kupperman, he told me a lot of things from the autobiography of Paul Winchell he had read. So go no further if you don't want spoilers! I don't want to ruin Paul Winchell's autobiography for you. I know it's on your nightstand. But Michael Kupperman said that Paul Winchell had some trouble with mental illness, and he was in such a manic state while working on his artificial heart that his wife seriously feared he was creating something to put into his ventriloquist dummies to bring them to life! Paul Winchell cured his mental illness by confronting his MOTHER'S GHOST at her GRAVE on the anniversary of her DEATH! The sky opened up but I forget what kinds of visions Michael Kupperman told me came out of it. "And at the end of the book, he's cured," said Michael Kupperman, somewhat skeptically, I thought. From now on I am only going to "blog" about things Michael Kupperman told me at lunch. (Pictured, the head of Jerry Mahoney, Paul Winchell's best-known dummy.)