Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Who Is Jack Pandarvis?


I was just sadly thinking about how I'm not going to be in California reading at City Lights or Skylight this week as originally scheduled because my new book (which was due on August 1) STILL isn't out, and that made me decide to check the behemoth to see if they are still selling an unauthorized kindle of the book and mislabeling it in the customer review section as a work of military erotica. I have made it a rule never to "link" to the behemoth, but this time I will make an exception because I want you to see for yourself. Notice that they have changed one letter of the title and one letter of my name, so that it appears as SHUT UP UGLU by Jack Pandarvis. I'm not clear on the reasoning here. Camouflage? If only I knew someone who understood publishing... a publisher for example! Yes, a publisher might be able to explain such things if a publisher chose! Also, there's a little notice at the top of the SHUT UP UGLU page explaining that the illegal kindle version is not available to people in the United States. But if you "click" on "not available," the behemoth seems to be giving you a hint about how you might read the book anyway by training your kindle to pretend it is not from the United States. Neat! (PS: It is a shame that the lovely Nancy Kwan showed up as our random picture for today. The behemoth doesn't deserve her!)