Thursday, December 17, 2009

Index Debacle


I was in Square Books indulging in my new pastime of checking the indexes of celebrity autobiographies I don't intend to buy for references to Jerry Lewis. So, Leslie Caron has a new book out, it seems, and I remembered that she was in FUNNY BONES with Mr. Lewis. But her book doesn't have an index! It seemed to be chronological, however, so I flipped to the 1980s. The chapter about the 1980s had some ominous title I can't recall, something like "The Eighties - Bad Times Indeed" (I'm paraphrasing, but that's close), and I was like, "Uh-oh! Watch your back, Jerry!" But flip and flip as I did through the chapter - indeed, through the book - I could not find a single reference to Jerry. If only there had been an index! Indexes are great. Who doesn't enjoy a good index? (Our randomly selected illustration features neither Jerry Lewis nor Leslie Caron. I wish I didn't have to tell you, but times have come to this.) PS: FUNNY BONES came out in 1995! What is wrong with my brain? I think I checked the 90s, too, but don't worry! I will go back tomorrow and make sure! I care about you! So much!