Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ghost Chicken

Is THE MOST DANGEROUS THING by Laura Lippman "a book with an owl in it"? A couple of characters are referred to as "night owls." I have taken this matter to the Board and we have decided that THE MOST DANGEROUS THING is indeed a book with an owl in it. After all, we have included in our tally many owls that may be theoretical or metaphorical, or which occur "off the page" in summary or exposition. Furthermore, some of the characters in THE MOST DANGEROUS THING spend a lot of time in the woods, so chances are high that an actual owl will pop up at any moment and scare us. Meanwhile there is an ominous chicken! Well, there are some ordinary chickens and one chicken that I strongly feel may be a ghost chicken. A ghost chicken is not Laura Lippman's kind of thing. I am willing to admit I may be reading too much ghostliness into the chicken of which I am thinking. I guess I'll have to wait and see. There's only one way to find out: read it for yourself!