Friday, April 04, 2008

Memoirs of a Big, Braggy Jerk

Would it be bragging to say that I just had a house-made moonpie and RC Cola sorbet at City Grocery with the food editor of the New York Times? Well, that's just the way I am - a big, braggy jerk. For example, I'll emphasize the fact that we briefly discussed Truffaut. That's just how classy I'd appreciate you thinking of me as being. I also had the pleasure of dining with Susan Choi and the poet and artist Blair Hobbs, both of whom are nice and kind and lovely and hilarious and sparkling and thoughtful and the opposite of me in every way. The sorbet was the hit of the table. "Fizzy," Blair proclaimed it, and the food editor agreed. Then we all threw back our heads and laughed and laughed in the most elegant way imaginable. Theresa couldn't be there, though, so the laughter was hollow on my part, masking a certain melancholy. That's how you do it when you're fancy.