Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Decatur Book Festival



Everyone should go to the Decatur Book Festival this Labor Day Weekend. I had a lot of fun the last time I was there. I was supposed to be there this year, but we ended up moving and the time just wasn't right... much to the consternation of Tom Franklin, who will driving down there by himself now. Sorry, Tom! Lots of other "Blog" Buddies will be there, too - Amanda Stern (pictured, left), for example, in one of her rare appearances outside of New York. Her panels are a "must"! It pains me that I'll miss this chance to see her. I've only seen her when I've had a new book come out and I go up to the Big City for her reading series... I can't write books fast enough, and that's why! Every time I knock off a new book I think, "Oh boy, I'll get to hang out with Amanda." So go to all her panels and find out why. Got an email from Wesley Stace (pictured, right) last night, promising all sorts of shenanigans in Decatur. Alas, I had to tell him I would not be there. Go see him read and/or play music. He can do both! It's really not fair. If you go see Sheri Joseph read, as you bloody well should, be sure and ask her a bird question afterward... that's right, she's our beloved bird correspondent. And then there's Jamie Allen, who's one of the people who puts the whole thing together every year, and a fine job he does. Well, tell everyone I said hello and sorry I couldn't make it. I'm probably forgetting some other "Blog" Buddies. Check out the full schedule and see how many "Blog" Buddies YOU can spot! It's easy and fun for the whole family. For instance, I just "clicked" on it and saw pictures of Natasha Trethewey and Kinky Friedman, and although the latter is by no stretch of the imagination a "Blog" Buddy, the fact remains that Dan Brown, who directed the movie version of my story "The Pipe," also made some campaign videos for Mr. Friedman when he was running for governor of Texas. So you see, the "blog" has its fingers in all pies. Go to the Festival and represent! Do it for the "blog"!