Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pitiful


Last night I thought up a pretty good "tip" to help you get even more enjoyment out of Bunuel's SIMON OF THE DESERT. But this morning I realized that much of my startled enjoyment of the film came from NOT knowing that particular tip in advance. As I was either going to sleep or waking up I had another brilliant idea - for a lengthy "post" discussing the acting techniques of Bing Crosby and Peter Lorre as unheralded predecessors of Brando's stylized naturalism. But now I am fully awake and see the problems with such a "post." First of all, it would be 100,000 words long! Secondly, no one would care. Thirdly, it might be insane. But I don't think so. Speaking of Peter Lorre, it turns out that his movie THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS is filled with cigarette holders as far as the eye can see. But we don't talk about that anymore on the "blog." What I am trying to tell you: the "blog" is out of "ideas."