Monday, April 14, 2008

Most Awesome Hall of Fame


I am reading THE DOOMSTERS by Ross MacDonald. As you will have immediately discerned, THE DOOMSTERS is the most awesome title for anything ever. "Most awesome" is not a phrase we toss about lightly here at the "blog." We have called many things "awesome," but only a select few "the most awesome." Here are the other things we have called "the most awesome": THE WIRE ("the most awesome thing ever created by human people"); "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" ("the most awesome reference ever"); the last five minutes of DEVIL DOLL ("the most awesome final five minutes of any movie ever"). That's it! Until now. To our august list we now proudly add the title THE DOOMSTERS. Yes, the fact that I am reading THE DOOMSTERS means that I have finished ANOTHER THING TO FALL by Laura Lippman. Was it great? Well, let me put it this way. One night, when I was about sixty pages from the end, I went to bed and dreamed I was reading the end of the book. When I woke up I couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen to all the characters - I was worried about them, as I might be about friends! Possible impediments to their welfare and happiness haunted my anxious dreams! - so I turned on the light at four in the morning and read the rest of it. Eerily, MY DREAM HAD COME TRUE, LIKE UNTO AN ANCIENT PROPHECY OF YORE! Except the real ending was great. It was much better than the ending I had dreamed, which, upon further reflection, was unlikely, as it involved unicorns. Ha ha! Not really! But truly, it didn't make any sense, the ending I dreamed. But it did reveal how much I had come to care about the characters. I'm very happy to know there are more books about private eye Tess Monaghan. Got me a copy of CHARM CITY fired up and ready to go.