Sunday, July 31, 2011

Awk!

I'd hate to tell you how many hours I've spent today searching the "internet" for a picture of Huey, Dewey, and Louie saying "Awk!" When they were startled, they would kind of recoil and exclaim "Awk!" and their caps would pop off (the latter third of that effect demonstrated above as they encounter some sort of shirtless elf, though those aren't their regular caps - PS I am the most boring man on earth!), which (the "Awk!" part anyway) is something Richard Howorth and I have been discussing a lot lately for some reason. (Coincidentally, I believe that Huey, Dewey, and Louie were the first characters I encountered who said "Natch!" - the meaning of which it took me many years to figure out.) Despite my immense talents as a "Googler" I am sorry to tell you I could not find a panel of Donald Duck's nephews saying "Awk!" I even ventured into the actual physical world and got out my hardcover edition of the Scrooge McDuck comics by Carl Barks (who did the painting above), in which Huey, Dewey, and Louie often guest-starred. I did have fun rereading a few of the stories - but no "Awk!" That accounted for some more hours of my day. And now it is time to go to sleep. There is something deeply immoral about this way of life. It is reported that Dr. Theresa and Richard were recently spotted doing a dance based on the "Awk!" move, but I can scarcely credit such rumors.