Thursday, October 26, 2006

Philosophers Are Just Like You and Me!

Earlier tonight, Theresa and I ended up hanging out with philosophers. Real 100% bona fide philosophers. They're just like you and me! We had fun talking about all sorts of things - they were witty, cultured, and kind - but it was especially nice to sit back and listen to them cracking wise about their profession. These particular philosophers were hilarious on the subject of Heidegger's fat face, which one of them memorably described as looking like marzipan and liver. Someone else said, "It's like he's a prostitute with a heart of gold, and inside that heart of gold is a piece of sh_t." They sure had it in for Heidegger! And let's face it, he had it coming, I think you know what I'm talking about. Plotinus, on the other hand, sounded like a nice dude to go to the ballgame with, just as I had always expected. Then our new philosopher friends started in on some guy named Hama-mama (an approximation of the actual name, which I can't recall, but which DID sound like a noise that Jackie Gleason would make). Hama-mama is famous for "tearing Derrida a new one," according to one of the philosophers. "It had to be done," said another philosopher. "We all have to do it at some point, to prove we're men." Hama-mama is also kind of put out with democracy, if I'm recalling correctly. But when you see him in person you want to give him a big hug, apparently. That's what I hear! Hama-mama, physically, is an "endearing little creature," I believe someone said. He just hates the world. Hanging out with philosophers! Crazy.