Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tuesday

There seemed to be a lot going on last night. On Fox and CNN, they were talking about "blogs" a lot. Apparently, "blogs" are extremely important! Apparently, the world cares about "blogs"! This is exciting news for me personally. I can change the world, apparently, through the majesty of my "blogging." There was something "political" going on yesterday, apparently. I have not been apprised of the details. Anyway, I was hanging out at the tickertape machine all night, waiting for word from bilious TV executive Phil Oppenheim about what he thought of last night's Gilmore Girls episode. Perhaps this was the source of last night's "hubbub" on CNN and Fox! I was not able to catch all the details, but people were certainly worked up about something, and I can only assume it was the "Girls." In any case, I was not disappointed by the promptness of Mr. Oppenheim's jeremiad, though I may have been chagrined by his white-hot rage. "Worst of all, for me," writes Phil of GILMORE GIRLS, "its politics stink. The show was always about rich people living in a fairy-tale land, but it also embraced a handful of progressive (for tv, anyway) ideas: (1) biological parents may not always be the best people to raise their own children, (2) people who have had children together may not be suited to be together as a couple, or as a family, (3) the nuclear family may not always be the most functional unit, (4) people from different social classes can be romantically involved with one another, and more. By pairing Christopher back up with Lorelai, Rory with the loathsome Huntzberger heir (whose radical change from privileged party boy into successful businessman-not exactly the transformation of Prince Hal into Henry V, if you know what I mean-seems to be really, really cool with Rory)...the show has become a banal, reactionary Harlequin romance." Ouch! We do not like to indulge in negativity on the "blog," but the importance of last night's events suggest a brief dip into the abyss. Mr. Oppenheim, after all, lives in an abyss of mental torment, and if we are truly to understand him, we must follow him there.