Sunday, June 28, 2009

Local Monster Squonk


As you know, the "blog" has accidentally become a repository of local monsters. See the hodag, the lizard man, and Spring-Heeled Jack. Now, thanks to tweetering, I must add the squonk to this list. The squonk - an awesome local monster of Pennsylvania - has been brought to my attention, incidentally, by the tweeterings of an intern from the Oxford American, but perhaps she is shy and I hesitate to splash her name across the "blog" without her permission. Says she, "Squonks are ugly little creatures that cry all the time and dissolve into bubbles when frightened or cornered." I know just how they feel. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the squonk. (Photo from a play called GREGOR AND THE SQUONK. Isn't the "internet" the greatest place ever? Who's with me?)