Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Old Man and the Thesis


I keep seeing a commercial I don't understand because I am an old man who no longer understands things. The commercial implies that Google has turned everyone crazy. We all go around compulsively spouting interesting tidbits, the commercial posits, which, according to the commercial's thesis, is nightmarish. Some of the people in the commercial caw like exotic birds because they have used Google. The commercial - which is for a search engine named after Bing Crosby - explains that if you use its product, you will no longer know any interesting tidbits. They promise not to give you even one single interesting tidbit to know. There will be no interesting tidbits when they take over. This is the end of interesting tidbits, they vow. I don't understand. Much like the Cheetos commercials, it is none of my business. Nothing is. The world doesn't want an old man anymore.