Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Clock


Just watched the Vincent Minnelli movie THE CLOCK on the recommendation of Mark Childress. It has emboldened me to make another unsubstantiated claim about Martin Scorsese, which I might check for veracity through the power of the "internet," but won't due to extreme laziness. Nonetheless, I believe THE CLOCK must have had a lot of influence on Scorsese. Parts put me in mind of NEW YORK, NEW YORK - other parts, a benevolent version of AFTER HOURS. I won't get into that, because I want you to watch THE CLOCK and don't want to spoil it for you by telling too much. I will remark on one particularly striking way in which I believe it inspired Scorsese. Toward the end of THE CLOCK, Robert Walker and Judy Garland are in a diner, eating soup, and at a table behind them there is the nosiest extra you have ever seen in a movie. The scene is pointedly echoed in THE KING OF COMEDY during a dinner date between De Niro and Diahnne Abbott. Watch both movies and you'll know what I'm talking about. Watch them now, I said!