Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dino and Rothko: Two Names That End With "O"


Square Books was kind enough to order that French novel featuring Dean Martin (PIANO, it's called, by Jean Echenoz). I picked it up last night. But it will be some time before I get to it. In the Rothko bio, our hero is just ten years old so far and getting roughed up by bullies on his paper route. Thorough! Last night I came across a passage that makes me think my friend from Hubcap City has read this particular biography. (We discussed Rothko once as we sat in an attic, if you are curious! We were so classy back then!) I should give the author credit, because I haven't mentioned his name yet: James E. B. Breslin. He has two middle initials, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. He is not to be confused with the old-school newspaperman Jimmy Breslin, friend of Norman Mailer and mentioned (like everything and everyone else) in THE EXECUTIONER'S SONG.