Wednesday, March 12, 2008

7 Points of Interest


The cable went out today, but I didn't let that stop me! I watched RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG, BOYS! (1958) on DVD. In seven main ways, it perfectly reflects the filmic interests of the "blog." 1) The actors include "blog" faves Jack Carson, Dwayne Hickman, and Tuesday Weld (pictured). 2) It nearly perfectly encapsulates the "swinging suburbanite" chapter in the yet-to-be-written coffee table book HIPSTER HEGEMONY by myself and Mr. McNeil. 3) It is one in that series of films that anticipates the TV series MAD MEN. 4) That whole "adultery as comedy" thing. 5) It generates another tepid response from my tattered 1993 Leonard Maltin Movie and Video Guide, driving another wedge between myself and Mr. Maltin. "Wit is noticeably lacking," he moans pitiably. Or harrumphs preeningly. Or something. 6) It demonstrates the period-appropriate pop-culture fascination with/fear of psychiatry. 7) Like AVANTI! and THAT THING YOU DO! (but unlike BADLANDS and I AM CUBA) it has an exclamation point in the title.