Monday, October 29, 2007

The FBIL's Annotation Korner


I was wondering when I would be called upon to explain Fess Parker to our nation's troubled youth. But the FBIL has gone ahead and done it for me in a brand new edition of his famous "Annotation Korner." He writes in primarily to annotate our recent column on bookmarks: "I had a nice surprise the other day. As you may remember, I purchased a copy of The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks by Donald Harington at Square Books during our last visit to Oxford. One of the first things I did upon getting home to Atlanta was retrieve the bookmark out of the bag. Last Friday, I was packing up Mr. Harington's novel for a weekend trip to Auburn when I discovered two additional bookmarks inserted into the book. That's three bookmarks in one purchase. Such generosity deserves recognition. You know who else deserves greater recognition? Fess Parker does, that's who. The man played both Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone, for Pete's sake. Who else can say that? Speaking of Fess Parker as Daniel Boone, in my younger days I used to watch that show every day when I came home from school. The thing was, I could never understand the theme song's lyrics. To my young mind it sounded as if Daniel Boone 'fought for America/ to make all Americans scream.'"