Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Addendum


Hey, I just found out I've been assigned a second appearance in New York. I'll be reading at the Barnes & Noble in Greenwich Village on October 9th. I've heard of Greenwich Village! Here's a picture of a beatnik. I believe some of them live there. Hey, in the meantime, don't forget to visit your local independent bookstore! McNally-Robinson, for example. Tell them Jack Pendarvis sent you! If you buy some books there in the next few months I won't feel so guilty when you come to see me at the chain. Life is a series of sordid compromises! And I couldn't be more thrilled about it. Remember that episode of HAPPY DAYS when Richie Cunningham fell in love with a runaway beatnik who lived in a movie theater? But then she had to go away! It was sad. I recall that Richie wrote a beatnik poem in that episode - one in which he rhymed "purpose" with "usurp us." If you will excuse me, I'm going to go throw myself into the maw of a live volcano.