Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Bird Correspondent Responds


The bird correspondent responds to our recent query: "Lots of birds do a kind of grating, burring sound - I'd have to hear it to have any hope of telling one from another. (And probably see it.) I know you hate it when I say Carolina Wren - those are extremely loud and small. But brown, not greenish nor goldish. Sorry - and this is clearly too boring to post on your blog." Thanks for your concern, Dear Bird Correspondent, but as you can see, nothing is too boring to put on this "blog." (Pictured, an American Goldfinch. I looked at a representation of "Common Backyard Birds of Mississippi" and the American Goldfinch comes closest. Does it make that kind of noise, DBC? I mean, I'm pretty sure this is the guy. And just look at that facial expression! It's got "loud noise" written all over it.)