Friday, August 27, 2010

Three Planets, Five Planets


I have decided to compel my graduate students - if any! - to read FORCES IN MOTION: THE MUSIC AND THOUGHTS OF ANTHONY BRAXTON come the spring, so I was looking at it again and noticed something in the introduction that I somehow missed before, must have missed, because how could I have forgotten? "Meanwhile, [Mr. Braxton] continues to work at his multi-orchestral scores - a Series A which will include pieces for six orchestras, ten orchestras, and 100 orchestras 'in four different cities connected by satellite and TV systems'; and a Series B of pieces that will link orchestras on three planets, five planets, in different star systems, and in different galaxies!" (Exclamation point provided by the author Graham Lock, and entirely appropriate.)