Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Colorful Pillows of Bob


I was over at the Ajax Diner for lunch, sitting up at the counter and reading BURY ME DEEP by Megan Abbott. Then when I got home, there was a package from Megan on the porch. And inside the package: an actual, 100% authentic lobby card for CRITIC'S CHOICE, a Bob Hope vehicle from his "questionable period." Not since Barry B. gave me those LPs by Jerry Lewis has there been such a gift. Bob is lying on a green couch in front of a red curtain, and tossed blithely all about him have been pillows of lavender and gold and red and blue. He is balancing an empty liquor bottle on his forehead and an empty glass on his chest. He is wearing a tuxedo without the jacket. I can't find a picture of this magnificent lobby card on the "internet" so here is a picture that popped up for no apparent reason while I was searching for it.