Saturday, December 02, 2006

A New Low

An anonymous friend (enemy?) of the "blog" phoned up to say, "Guess what's coming on the Boomerang channel right now?" She (or he) then held his/her receiver up to the television, the better for me to hear the theme from HONG KONG PHOOEY. Is this what people think of me? Is THIS what they think I want to hear? The theme to HONG KONG PHOOEY? And why did I know all the words? The person who had called continued to watch HONG KONG PHOOEY during our conversation. "He sleeps in a filing cabinet!" this person said with some alarm and incredulity. "I know," I replied. And why did I remember the incident from my childhood when I was helping board up the windows in preparation for a hurricane that never came, and all I could think about was that I was missing HONG KONG PHOOEY? As John Lennon once observed, "The 'blog' is over."