Friday, August 28, 2009

I Dream of Talk Shows


Hey! Do you want to know what I dreamed last night? No? Then why are you reading a "blog"? So last night I dreamed that Jerry Lewis was interviewing Janeane Garofalo in front of a live studio audience. I remember one of the questions. Jerry asked Janeane, "How did your father spell his name?" And Janeane looked puzzled, but started to answer: "G-A-R..." then she stopped and said, "He spelled it just like mine." And Jerry said, "You don't look like a Garofalo." But the main part of the dream was that the studio audience seemed unaware of their responsibilities as a studio audience. They were chatting amongst themselves during the show, for example, and a number of them were standing up and milling around. Jerry got upset and called off the interview. Then he told the audience he was going to sue everybody in it. At this point in the dream I was filled with anxiety, because I suddenly realized I WAS IN THE AUDIENCE! Do you want to know what this dream was about? The difficulty of teaching Anita Loos to our modern day college students. (This "post" illustrated with random picture #7.)