Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chestnuts for Monkeys


As I casually "clicked" backward to all the "blog's" references to flannel, I happened on a "post" involving Chuang Tzu. And from that "post" I landed on a "web" page explaining Chuang Tzu's theory of "Generation by Opposites." And it struck me as a great coincidence, because it turns out that not only do Keats and Nicolas of Cusa have something to say about THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (as we learned yesterday in an unrelated "post") but so does Chuang Tzu. The parable he uses to explain the "Generation by Opposites" begins like this: "A keeper of monkeys said that each monkey was to have three chestnuts in the morning and four at night." You can read the rest for yourself. But I was like, "Right on." I was like, "Everything is connected." I was like, "I love ancient philosophers who use monkeys in their examples." And I do. You know, there have been a lot of efforts to decide what the "blog" is all about. But as time goes on, it becomes clear: Jerry Lewis, monkeys, and UFOs. (Hey, remember this happy little fella [pictured]?)