Friday, January 09, 2009

Superman Twee


Very late "blogging" today. I was doing that other thing, what do you call it? Working. Sometimes I do that for a change of pace. I finished going through all the editorial notes for my detective novel and made the appropriate changes. So I guess it's sort of done, save for the dreaded "copy edits." I know you don't care! I'm only telling you all this to explain how I arrived at the above illustration, the incredibly twee cover of an old Superman comic. Anyway, in the course of my work today (and I don't think this is a spoiler) I had to look up a picture of the comic book character Sgt. Rock on the "internet." There's a reference to him in the book, and I wanted to be technically accurate. Somehow my "googling" led me instead to Superman secretly helping an old lady blow out her birthday candles as her kitty grins approvingly and maybe even laughs. And don't forget Polly the Parrot! Polly want a cracker? Looks like THIS Polly would prefer a slice of cake! (The title of this "post" may be read as a lame pun on the title of the movie SUPERMAN III, costarring Richard Pryor. I'm sorry. It's not my best effort.)