Saturday, May 26, 2007

C-Spandemonium!


Normally this regular column is entitled "James Whorton, Jr.'s C-Spandemonium!" But James Whorton, Jr. is taking a break from his duties. I am stepping in to report two interesting programs on C-Span 2 today. One was a talk that Douglas Brinkley gave about the diaries of Ronald Reagan. Another was an amiable lecture by a professor who has written a biography of Washington Irving. The professor's name is Andrew Burstein and his book is called THE ORIGINAL KNICKERBOCKER. This Burstein fellow appeared so personable, lighthearted, perceptive, probing, and engaging that I WISHED I wanted to read a biography of Washington Irving (pictured). I just don't see it happening, nothing against Washington Irving (I have no desire to read Ronald Reagan's diaries, for that matter). But I do feel moved to say that if you are at all interested in Washington Irving, New York, or American literature, please give this pleasant professor and his book a look. I have a feeling you will be glad you did!