Friday, May 18, 2007

The Good News

Here is some good news I have been working up my nerve to spill. I got a surprising phone call a week ago. I was invited, out of the blue, to be the 2007-8 John and Renee Grisham Writer-In-Residence at Ole Miss. We have had so many nice times and met so many good people in Oxford. Every time Theresa and I visit, we get wistful and speculate about what it would be like to live there. Now we will have a chance to find out, and not too long from now, either (I start at the beginning of the academic year). We've been told that the window of my "study" where I am expected to write (not "blog"!) looks out onto Faulkner's yard. Well, we're still taking turns pinching one another over here. Of course, that has nothing to do with the news. But this is a great honor and a rare opportunity.